7.18.2011

rhubarb crumble bars & the Secret Recipe Club!

I was assigned to Lady Behind The Curtain's blog for this months Secret Recipe Club (click on the link to go find out what that's about...  it's super fun!)!

When I was looking around her blog to see what I wanted to make, I stumbled across her Boysenberry Bars Recipe and I knew immediately that it was one I wanted to try!


These bars are amazing.  Absolutely amazing.  So incredibly delicious, easy, and satisfying... yummm!!  They basically taste like a fruit crumble in a simple bar form.  Lots of delicious topping and easy to serve, freeze if desired, and eat!

I kept the base & crumble part very similar to her version (except for adding a bit more butter and using my mixer like the original Pioneer Woman Recipe calls for, because I like the chunkier texture that allows), but instead of using boysenberry or apricot preserves, I used my homemade Rhubarb Sauce!

I make rhubarb sauce in the summer and freeze it in smaller batches to enjoy all year long...  in yogurt, over ice cream, or just by the spoonful!  This recipe is a perfect way to showcase that beautiful sauce, but you could easily substitute any kind of preserves or freezer jam that you like!


Rhubarb Crumble Bars Recipe
adapted from Lady Behind the Curtain & The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter, cut into smallish pieces
11/2 - 2 cups rhubarb sauce

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Line a 9"square baking dish with foil or parchment paper and then butter the foil.

In your mixer bowl, place the first 7 ingredients (everything except for the butter and sauce) and mix until combined.  Add in the butter and mix until crumbly and combined.

Dump about two-thirds of the mixture (no need to measure, just guesstimate!) into your prepared pan and press firmly.  Spread the rhubarb sauce evenly over the crust.

Take the remaining crust mixture and crumble it evenly over the top.  Press down gently.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.  Let cool completely in the pan and then lift out by the foil and cut into bars to serve.









Related Posts with Thumbnails